Monday, December 04, 2006

What's new?




My how time flies when you start to have a social life! It's true, I have met the mystery women and they are sweet and lovely ladies. We decided to start a halaka (religious study circle) and the lebanese mystery woman said she would help me learn to speak Arabic, which is a goal I want to accomplish in my life.


Yellowknife is buzzing with the holidays. Lights are going on all over, and they are on for a long time because the sun is setting around 3:30pm...
The holiday spirit has taken off at work as well. Everyday is a party with food, candy, cookie exchanges, Christmas parties etc...I have to be careful to not gain 20lbs this month! Eid al Adha is coming up soon, and I have already been invited to one Eid party. Yay! I won't have a boring Eid this time.



I helped Cousin T and the boys put up their tree this weekend. It was fun, it was the first time I ever decorated a Christmas tree.



You can see there is a quite a bit of snow outside. Today was positively warm! It was up to minus 15 and given that last week we were down in the minus thirties, today's walk to work felt pretty darn warm.

~~~

The dry Northern air is a problem in that it causes a lot of static electricity. There is a lack of humidity. At work we have a defibrillator machine and we got an email warning us to observe 'standard anti-static procedure' when going near or operating any electronic equipment. One question: What the hell is standard anti-static procedure?! (Pardon my language). We were also told to 'remember' that 'it takes about 5000 volts of static electricity for the average person to feel a mild electric shock and only 500 volts of static electricity can be fatal to electronic equipment'. Remember?! Is this common knowledge? Am I just blissfully unaware of this type of information because I have been living in the humid East the past 22 years of my life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's cool that you have a social life now, hehe. hope the halakas go well and so do the arabic lessons! the christmas tree must have been fun to decorate. i used to enjoy doing it in elementary school.