Monday, November 27, 2006

99th Post!

...Yes indeed, you are now reading the 99th post! Who would've known that a girl had that much (that little?) to say, but I have been away for 7 months now and have been blogging blogging and blogging. Blogging is Busy Idleness!

In honour of the 99th post I have a recipe I want to share. It is tasty, healthy, quick and great for a winter's lunch or dinner.

Spicy Chickpea Soup
  • 3 tbsp minced ginger
  • 2 jalapeno peppers
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 10 cloves garlic (yes 10!...trust me)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1/8 tsp turmeric
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 cups stock
  • 1/4 cup mango chutney (available at all grocery stores in the 'ethnic' section)
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 can of chickpeas, white kidney beans, a mixture or whatever rocks your boat
  1. In a food processor, coarsley chop tomatoes, red pepper, jalapeno pepper (remove the seeds from the peppers for less 'heat')
  2. fry onions until golden in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute. Add bay leaves and spices and fry for 1 more minute.
  3. Add stock, add vegetable mixture (form #1), add chutney, add chickpeas and finally, before serving, add coconut milk. Gently heat until just before boiling. Slightly mash peas if desired. Enjoy!

(With a special dedication to Auntie Mary, along with my thanks for helping me with my knitting)

~~~

Les Choristes

I borrowed a movie from the library last week, it was called Les Choristes (The Choir). It was excellent! For a plot review check this out. It is a movie made in France and it was touching a captivating. The main characters are: Clement, a washed up musician who takes a job as a school prefect, watching over troubled boys, Pepinot, a young orphan is is endearing, and Mohrange, a troubled youngster with the voice of an angel. Anyway if you do go to the video store, get this movie!! It is excellent (even Auntie Donna agrees, and we don't agree on movies at all!).
Everyone who knows me is well aware of the fact that I am hard as nails and I don't cry....you know, future cat lady extraordinaire! But, if you can believe it, I actually did tear up when the boys were singing. It was a combination of the beauty of the sound, along with the sincerity of their gaze towards the teacher, something so sad and so beautiful, I was (as they say en Francais), touche! Rent the movie, watch it, then tell me about it. And a final note, for all the non-Francophones, the movie has subtitles, so don't worry about language.

~~~~

Chilly days in Yellowknife...dark too. But my spirits are fine (all Praise to God), though I seem to have caught something of a cold, pretty normal for this time of year anyway. There appears to be some crazy weather happening around Western Canada! In Whitehorse (Yukon), the temperature was down to minus forty! I spoke wih one of my fellow coworkers who works out of Whitehorse and he said it felt like minus 100! A slight exaggeration on his part, but nonetheless, it must've been chilly.


I am off, good night and Peace to All! I'll be posting some pictures soon so stay tuned!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ill give it a try. keep warm sweety. mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sumayyah, that was fabulous soup, can't wait to make it. Is the scarf finished yet? I got working on the sweater and looking at my old supply of wool. Yikes.
Auntie Mary

Anonymous said...

i would love to make that soup- it sounds yummy! but i think it would taste even more yummy if you made it for me. :-)

Sumayyah said...

LOL Mav!
I can make it for you and ship it out if you want...but it may turn to a brick of ice before it reaches Montreal.
InshaAllah we will see each other again in the near future. I may come visit in May or June.xox!

Auntie Mary: I am almost finished the scarf, I'll post a picture of it when I do. I am glad you enjoyed the soup, it is one that I used to make at the tea room this summer.

Anonymous said...

Blizzard warnings were issued as a service to parts of Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin as snow socked the states in tandem with hot air gusts topping 45 miles (72 kilometers) per hour.
The shower -- 10 days in front the hit of winter -- took its greatest levy in Minnesota, where as much as two feet (61 centimeters) of snow had fallen in some locations, according to the Nationalistic Ill Appointment (NWS).
The constitution's largest burg Minneapolis was directed a blanket of bloodless 17 inches (43 cm) profound, the worst snowfall to hit the city in more than 19 years and the fifth-biggest on record.
As an incriminate in of the thunder-shower's mercilessness, Minneapolis-St. Paul Global Airport -- a motion focal point with adroitness in contending with unclean seedy -- was screen down in return the oldest point in years.