Friday, May 05, 2006

Out toTown

Greetings from Grand Forks! We didn't make it to the museum today because my aunt wasn't feeling well enough to drive that far, so instead we went to town again. We took a better look inside the stores; there is a store here called Art Effects which has beautiful things. Jewelery, home decor, incense etc...really an artsy store, I felt right at home. I did a bit of shopping, a pair of amber earrings and some incense.



The dolls pictured above are Russian. They are called Matrioshka. They are intricate and beautiful but since they are hand painted they are quite pricey. So I just took a picture.

Outside there was a guy singing "Home on the Range", I was feeling bold so I went to him and asked him if I could take his picture. He was most agreeable and said that one day he may be a movie star so now I have his picture and it may be worth something!

I went to a bookstore and bought a Russian Doukhobor recipe book. Here's the recipe for the Voreniki (cottage cheese dumplings) that I ate last night:

Ingredients

  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1 tsp. water
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • About 1 1/2 cups flour to make medium stiff dough plus flour for kneading

Method

  1. Slightly beat egg, add milk, salt, soda in water
  2. Add flour and baking powder. Knead until dough doesn't stick to the board
  3. Roll out thin on floured board
  4. Cut in 2 1/2" circles
  5. Place 1 tsp. of filling in each circle. Fold over and pinch edges
  6. Drop Voreniki into boiling salted water and stir
  7. Boil rapidly about 3-4 minutes
  8. Remove into colander
  9. Serve with melted butter or sour cream

Filling; Mix well: 2 1/2 cups cottage cheese (dry), 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp. salt. Enjoy!!

So that was it, I have been relaxing and decompressing. It's weird that I get up and don't have to go to school or work or do something. It's nice to be able to decide what I want to do, just read, go for a walk or do something with my aunt.

That's all for now...have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»