Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cascade Falls






Hello and Salaam to you all! Here are some more pictures of my adventures today...it is so wonderful out here. It is a blessing to be so close to nature and the marvels are from God...Glory be to God Almighty who has created this. It is spiritual out here, I haven't felt this restful and peaceful and content in a while...city living is hard on the soul!

I'll keep posting for you Montreal and Ottawa folks, so keep on coming back. I also have video from the cascade falls but I don't know how to post that yet, maybe when I'm in Yellowknife I'll take the time to figure it out.

I am going to find out more about the history of this place. This area is a former mining town, a lot of people of Russian descent live and here they practice the Doukabour religion. They left Russia under the Czars because part of their belief is that they don't take up arms. Some went to areas of Europe, some to Canada. In Canada they came to Saskatchewan; they settled in Verigan Buchanan and Kampsack. They lived in colonies. They then moved to British Columbia and set up colonies here. There was a sect of Doukabours called Sons of Freedom. They are also known as Barn Burners because they burnt down barns and houses to cleanse them. In the 1950's, when they were being charged for arson by the BC government, they would strip naked in court as a form of protest. They also walked the streets naked to protest. Their children were taken away because they refused to send them to school. The Sons of Freedom don't really exist anymore, but on our drive this afternoon, we saw dilapitated housing where some people still live.

4 comments:

Ragnar Danneskjöld said...

wow! nice pics

Sumayyah said...

Thank you so much Sid! Keep coming because I will have more as I continue my adventures inshaAllah...

Anonymous said...

man, they sound like my kind of people. naked barn burning? hell yah

Sumayyah said...

Kidney girl, I met an old guy with a beard, I think he is a descendant of the Sons of Freedom...shall I ask him for his tel # for you?