Taken from the NWT newspaper:
"Scientists have confirmed the male bear shot on Banks Island April 16 was indeed a hybrid grizzly/polar bear. Analysis of a sample determined the mother was polar and the father was grizzly. This is the first time the two species have been known to mate in the wild."
For those of you obsessed by bears (ahem IrisBlue), that is your confirmation. This bear was shot by an American sport hunter named Jim Martell. You can read more about it (and see a picture) here.
~~~
Did anyone watch Oprah yestarday? I didn't actually watch the show but I read about it on Oprah.com. Anyway, no comments about Queen Rania, a lot of what she said seemed to make sense, but when they said that the hijab is a matter of personal freedom (which it essentially is), and that only 60% of the women in Jordan wear it, was this positive, meaning a sort of liberation? Honestly, Oprah does a lot of good work, but she is still extremely ignorant on Islam, don't even get me started!
Sarah McLachlan was also featured with her video from her socially conscious song: World on Fire. Instead of spending the usual $150 000 it costs to make a music video she spent $15 and the rest went to various charitable organizations. You can take a look at it here, it is pretty cool (but sad).
~~~
Speaking of music, here is some interesting music from the Ottoman period.
Thursday, May 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
IrisBlue:
Really, 2 years...this was the first I heard of it. I guess I'm out of touch with the music scene.
I'm glad you are enjoying the animal channel...The bear looked more like a polar bear than anything else, but maybe when I take my bear course in September I will know how to distinguish them better. Too bad the 'grizzlor' bear is dead though, it would have been interesting to study its behaviour.
Nayya:
It was a new interview with Jordan's Queen Rania. I didn't actually watch it but you can get updates from Oprah's website. The last time she was on was after September 11 2001 and said some pretty dumb things (like, Ramadan is the equivalent of Lent!!). Anyway I wanted to know what she said about hijab, if the fact that only 60% of women in the country wear was seen as liberation...
That is cool about the college student, I applied for a job in Nunavut, and I would go if the opportunity was right. You could give that person my contact info if they want, it would be interesting to speak to them.
Love, hugs and kisses to you both!
Post a Comment