
Good Evening and Salaam to All! A photographic interlude for your viewing pleasure. I went to Cameron Falls today which is about 30min outside of Yellowknife. Cousin T, her husband B and the two kids and I went today and had a great time. Along the drive they told me about different aspects of Yellowknife, the mines, the land etc...all interesting information which I will share at a later date when I know more about NWT and Yellowknife in general.
To reach the falls we went along a somewhat arduous hike (lucky for me I am in pretty good shape). Nature at its finest. While I was walking and looking at the sky and contemplating the beauty of it all, I thought to myself, 'this is nature unadulterated'...well almost completely untouched except for a walking path. I know that I am a city girl originally, but this is the place to be. Trees, rocks, sky and water, what more could a person want? Yes, family, food, love etc, but perhaps if more people were connected to nature and the natural processes of the world, they would be less non-chalant about destroying it...just a thought anyway.
Global warming is going to hit regions like this the hardest. Yellowknife is considered to be sub-arctic conditions and there may be a road built connecting us directly to the arctic in the next 10 years. For now, people rely on air travel or the ice highway, and this year (Canada's warmest year on record), the ice highway was built pretty late. It was a problem for many Northern communities that rely on it for their food supply shipments and other necessities of life.
I feel an environmental rant coming on...but instead of my ranting please visit David Suzuki to learn more about the environment and achieving sustainability in the various aspects of life (food, energy, housing etc)...some interesting ideas and things we can implement in our life. Anyway as Muslims, we should be the first to protect and cherish the Earth; it is not a 'resouce' that can be depleted, to quote a favourite Shayk of mine, 'if we destroy everything below us, then we aren't really on top'. We are custodians. Anyway, just some thoughts that came to me after spending the afternoon on a hike and pondering on God's creation.


This is Cameron Falls, beautiful glorious water falling down a chute. The pictures don't do it justice, being there was amazing. Really makes you think about everything. Cascade falls was beautiful too, but a different kind of beauty, British Columbian beauty. Cameron Falls is Northwest Terrority beauty. Does that make sense?

This is part of the hike to and from the falls. This is typical of NWT, rock, rock and small trees. Alpine, Birch, Evergreen etc...but they are all pretty small because of the climate. Also, a lot of different types of rock, including volcanic rock. I don't know all the types of rock we saw today, I will have to look it up and get back to you.

This was part of the trail...I told you it was pretty arduous! But fun and it felt really good to be moving and climbing and just being outdoors!

These two cuties are my cousin's kids...they are so much fun to be around...despite our age differences (they are 6 and 8 and I am heading towards 23), we have a lot of fun together. What does that say about me? I guess I have a lot of kid left inside...haha. But seriously, hanging around with other people's kids is fun because you get all the play benefits but none of the hard work. Don't you agree?
~~~~
So I am really liking Yellowknife and the NWT. Thank you Jazakallahu khair for all the kind emails, all the well wishes and everything. I am trying to call everyone or write, so bear with me and I will get back to you.
It is nice here, I am happy. I have some family members here and have also met some young people too (thank to my cousin M). I went to a trade show yestarday, which was cool. People are really friendly, I am used to it now, and I am friendly back too. I am also getting to know the area, I can get to downtown and know my way around ok. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I arrived (and 2 weeks since I left home).
Good night and love to everyone!
3 comments:
So happy your having fun and couldn"t call to wish happy m-day-just joking looks like fun
Mom! You don't need me to call on a fabricated, commercialized, spend-your-money and make card companies rich-day to tell you I love you...I love you everyday!
p.s. It is fun.
I got confirmation today about what I thought was the case: we pray the Edmonton prayer schedule, so it is reasonable. Maghrib is at 9:30 and isha at 11:30, fajr goes out at 5:30...
Funny story, I was walking back after my job interview (I got the job but I am going to hold out for something a bit better) and as I was walking a taxi driver stops and says 'Salaam! Sister, get in the cab!' So I got in (!?!) and asked him about the masjid and he confirmed the prayer times and then he gave me his card and told me to call him anytime I need a ride. Of course, he wouldn't take money and I believe he intends to give me free rides around the city lol!
So, I can safely say that every time I have gone out on my own since I have been here (1 week now), I have been approached or picked up by a Muslim man. I am starting to feel like fresh meat on the spouse market...too bad for them I am not the least interested right now lol!
Post a Comment