Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Only in Yellowknife!

Here is an anecdote of something that happened to me at work today, it is quite amusing...

You'll recall I work for NorthwesTel, the major telecommunications company that serves the Northwest Territories. I work in the business care department, dealing with business customers from NWT, Yukon, Nunavut and Northern British Columbia. Whenever there is anyone Francophone that requests service, it automatically goes to me because I am the only bilingual employee in our department.

One of our customers from the Francophone school board required service so I called their head office and spoke with their coordinator. While we were discussing the work that was to be done, he asked me what my name was. I told him Sumayyah. He was surprised and asked me if I quit my last job...I wasn't really sure what he meant, since my last job was in Montreal...I told him no, I have been working for the same company since I moved here. He said he knows a Sumayyah who works in Yellowknife, and am I that person? I said no, I don't know who is he talking about...he said that he knows a woman with the same name and she is in her 30's and we sound very much alike on the phone. She is also bilingual and used to live in Montreal prior to moving to Yellowknife, and would I like for him to introduce us?

I didn't really think much of it, but I said sure, he can introduce us (without giving him any personal information so I really didn't think anything would come of it). We proceeded to end the call and approx. 2 minutes after I hung up the phone with him, there is a call for me from someone named Sumayyah! So then I started laughing and all my coworkers thought it was hilarious. I spoke with Sumayyah for about 5 minutes, she said that everyone in town has been asking her if she quit her job...if she now works for NorthwesTel and she has been wanting to speak with me...I told her a couple of people that I have spoken with over the phone think that they know me, but they must be mistaken. So anyway, Sumayyah wants to go out for coffee one of the days...

This could only happen in Yellowknife!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is quite a coincidence! :)

Anonymous said...

thats amazing-does she still live in YK momLet me know when you see her.

Anonymous said...

..not only can it only happen in yellowknife, but it can only happen to you.. hahahha

Sumayyah said...

Nayya:
Actually you are quite right! I do seem to get myself into odd situations, and meet people in weird ways. The other Sumayyah was in the paper last week. The manager of my department at work told me that she met her. One of my coworkers said
"Oh let's see her picture, does she look like our Sumayyah?"
I just had to laugh!

4ndi Land said...

salam alaikum
wow mashaAllah this is so cool! a friend of mine was in yellowknife last yr and she told me that she wanted to go back so we are both planning on relocating there. I have never been and i googled "yellowknife muslim" and the first hit is your blog.
im actually from ottawa, and i was wondering if you have any good ressources for me to look for work in the meanwhile, till i actually get there?
what is the cost of living like?
inshaAllah you wont find me too strange to just jump into this discussion, your savvy would be much appreciated.
sincerely,
Andrea