In a nutshell, living vertically means that a person lives their life in a creative fashion. They are constantly growing and acquiring new skills, and their mindset is such that everyday is new and offers new opportunities to learn, to enjoy and to live life to its fullest.
Living horizontally is living in a life that doesn't progress beyond the day to day activities. A person who doesn't do anything to improve their life experience or does little beyond a basic routine of work, home, tv, bed, work, home, tv...you get the idea.
Anyway they suggested some books to read which I will pick up next time I visit my best friend (the library). One of them is by Eitan Sharir (don't remember the name), the other is called "The Tipping Point" by Gary Caldwell.
I strive to live vertically in all aspects of my life, meaning personal life, work life, religious life, everything...I don't know that I am doing such a good job though, it is all a work in progress I suppose.
~~~~~
Made sushi the other night. It sure was tasty.
Here is how you make sushi:
- Buy a variety of nice veggies, carrots, red peppers, cucumber, mango (I know it is a fruit but it tastes good in sushi), avocado, anything that rocks your boat really
- If you like fish, try smoked salmon, imitation crab meat or if you are brave, raw salmon or tuna. Some people used boiled egg (quite good really), or go veggie if you don't like fish
- Buy sushi rice (available at almost all grocery stores), buy Noori (toasted seaweed), rice vinegar, mayonnaise
- Cook rice according to instructions, add a little vinegar, a little sugar, a little salt, some may
- Spread rice on Noor, place cut up veggies on end of rice and roll it up
Enjoy with pickled ginger, wasabi, soy sauce
~~~~~~
It is art week here in Yellowknife. I went to a local cafe and listened to some Northern writers and storytellers talk. I went with a co-worker. I am really blessed to have met her, she is a lovely lady, very kind and always ready to laugh with you. Auntie Donna left this morning, so Cashew and I are alone for the next two weeks. I am going to call that Muslim lady I met. Maybe she and I can have a weekly religion study circle or halaka, I will ask her if she is interested in starting something. Ramadan is right around the corner and I don't want to be alone to break fast all the time (Auntie Donna will be in Turkey then).
Here is a picture of the cafe, it was nice to get out. I work in that building, it is the Northwest Tower. Tomorrow there will be literary readings at the legislative assembly, I think I will head out there after work (at Mary's Tea Room). I'll let you know how it goes.

~~~~~
Here I am. This is outside the cafe, which is on the 1st floor of the Northwest Tower. It was a beautiful day today. I am heading out to Reid Lake with Cousin T and the boys on Sunday. We are going for an afternoon of fun at the beach, and a picnic.
Apart from that, nothing too much else to report. I may go to a stain glass workshop with another co-worker this week, but the paper said ages 25 and up only. Weird eh? So, if I go and they don't ask me, is that like lying? I am having a moral crisis here haha...
I saw Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" this week. All about global warming, though, I do have to say the he is a good speaker and he didn't make it fearful and horrid (although it is). He really put the whole picture together well, and it was like a good summation of some the courses I took in university. I will post about global warming and environmental issues soon. I have the David Suzuki reader, and, apart from wanting to slit your wrists after reading a page of it, there is some good information that is merits some discussion.
~~~~~
Shaykh Hamza's take on the state of affairs in the world. He is doing a series of the content of character as well, may Allah reward him with the highest of rewards.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4kzyTfszA
~~~~~
Good night to all and may peace prevail on Earth!

No comments:
Post a Comment