Monday, July 31, 2006

Habla Con Ella

Talk to her. That is the title of the Spanish movie I watched on Friday night. I was so excited about how good the film was that I wanted to call someone, but seeing as to how it would have been 3am in Montreal (it was 1am in Yellowknife), I couldn't really think of anyone to call who would be up and receptive to my excitement at that precise hour. The movie was made in Spain (it had subtitles) and it is about two strangers who meet up when both of their girlfriends are in comas. I won't say anything more on it, but I thought it was great.

One of the songs in the movie is called "Cucurrucucú Paloma". It was so beautiful I could've cried (except that I'm not much of a crier). I am not really a romance person either, but the song is quite romantic...undying love...sigh

The scene in the movie is moving. One of the main characters, Marco, is listening to this song and he is moved to tears. He realizes that his love is gone. Here are the lyrics in English but in order to hear the true beauty of the song you must hear it as sung by Caetano Veloso.

They say that at night he didn’t do anything but cry.
They that he didn’t eat and didn’t do anything but drink.
They swear that heaven shuddered when it heard his cry,
How he suffered for her, calling out to her even as he died.

Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, he sang.
Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, he wept.
Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, he sang.
As he died of mortal passion.

That a sad dove came that morning to sing to him,
To the small house with its windows open wide.
They swear that the dove is nothing less than his soul,
That is still waiting for her to come back, her, the unfortunate.

Cucurrucucú, dove,
Cucurrucucú, don’t cry.
The stones never do, dove,
What do they know of love?
Cucurrucucú, cucurrucucú,
Cucurrucucú, you don’t cry any more.

The movie won many awards and I definitely recommend it.
~~~~

What is new here in Yellowknife? Not a whole lot, the weather is starting to feel like fall. Chilly mornings, chilly evenings...oh! The changing of the seasons is a romantic part of year...Back to school, fresh papers and pencils, new notebooks, new classes. I always did like back to school. This is the first time in 18 years that I am not going back to school, because I am finished school! Sometimes it feels like I was in elementary school just yestarday and sometimes it feels like I was at McGill my whole life. Time goes slowly and yet it flies...sigh..
~~~~

I met a man today named JJ. He told me that he lives in a tent, though he didn't specify where. He also told me that it is hard to be homeless and he is thinking of moving South because the winters are difficult in the North. JJ wanted me to give him money. I asked him if he was hungry and he replied in the affirmative, so I told him I would buy him food if he wanted. He told me he had a dream of having a slice of Bruno's Pizza and a Pepsi, so we walked to Bruno's Pizza and I bought him a slice and a Pepsi. He told me that he does soap stone carvings and that he owes me a flower, so if I ever get my flower I will post a picture of it.
~~~~

It is going to be somewhat lonely days for me in the next couple of weeks. Auntie Donna is going to do field work in Fort Good Hope (she leaves for two weeks on Friday), Matthew is away on vacation and Cousin T and the family are also going away. When Auntie Donna comes back, she is heading off to Turkey with Aunt E in Alberta, exciting isn't it? I asked her to keep her eyes open for nice hijabs for me, I left my collection in Montreal.

So it will be Cashew (the cat) and myself for a while. Cashew tried to get under the blankets with me tonight but I wasn't having any of it. It isn't personal, it just that I have a rule about getting under the blankets-we have to be married first hahaha...
~~~~

Good night and God Bless!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

why am i laughing uncontrollably at the thought of you being alone with a lovely furry feline? hahahahahhahahahahhahah
LOL

Sumayyah said...

Nayya, you are laughing uncontrollably because you are a sick, sick girl...no just kidding, I am the one who is sick. What kind of person cannot bring herself to pet an animal that wants some attention? I don't know what's wrong with me...I just feel repulsed by the neediness.
The next two months are going to be long...for myself and Cashew. When Matt gets back in 1 week I will ask him to come pet her, but until then...

Anonymous said...

the cat isn't under your covers, but, she may have gotten under your skin?

methinks the lady doth protest too much!
aunt e

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Fuji finepix e510 digital camera bernie schuster md m d rhinoplasty enhancement Causes tennis elbow nebraska rhinoplasty The las vegas center for plastic surgery http://www.enlargement-breast.info/rhinoplasty-bob-s-party-time-lounge-live.html

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »