Friday, July 28, 2006

Survival

My aunt and I went for a walk on the rocks out to Kam Lake last week. It was quite lovely, a nice way to spend a Friday evening. (This was after we got back from the charity auction hosted by Jack Layton). As we were sitting on the rocks, my aunt was looking around and said if the rest of the world became demolished in a nuclear war, what could we survive on out here? So we looked around, we would need fire, shelter and food. My aunt has a vast amount of field knowledge and expertise and has worked in the bush plenty. I, on the other hand, have no experise roughing it out and would probably die quite quickly if I had to rely on myself for food and shelter. I mean, I know how to go out and get a job and earn money, but I don't have much survival experience...

This got me thinking about myself, and about life in general. Ever since I left home three months ago, I have been learning and observing things about life and about me. I learned that it doesn't really matter what situation you are in, you still remain the same person if you don't put any effort into changing. I thought that a lot of the aspects that I really disliked about myself would change because my behaviour was based on my surroundings, but this is actually not true! What a surprise and wakeup call that was. So my conclusion is that I have to put effort into making positive changes within myself, which seems really obvious now but didn't at the time anyway. Some of my observations are amusing, but others are distressing...

Anyway, back to Kam Lake and survival...there were some berries there but we would be competing with the bears. There are fish in Kam Lake, but we would need spears or a net to catch them. As well, shelter would probably be the first thing we would need, especially here in Yellowknife where it can get a little chilly in the winter time. Anyway, I am sure my auntie Donna would be fine but I think I may take a survival course next time I see one being offered. You never know when you'll need to survive in an arduous situation, especially with all that is going on in the world...

I took some pictures of Kam Lake, so enjoy!



The rocks leading to Kam Lake. It is so nice that Kam Lake is a 15 minute hike from the house. Everything is close by in Yellowknife, including beautiful lakes and nature trails. How blessed!


When we were leaving, the sun was starting to set. The days are getting a bit shorter, now I have to turn a light on if I want to read in bed. The summer has been absolutely beautiful and now it is starting to feel a little like fall. The air is slightly nippy in the morning and the grass is dewy. This brings back memories of back to school, paper, pencils, new shoes. What a romantic time of year! Winter is romantic too...sitting in front of the fire with a cup of tea...playing out door games with my little brother, cold cheeks, white breath...its coming!


Isn't it amazing how the cloud is perfectly reflected in the water? Glory be to God who maketh so! The water was so still and so beautiful.

Good night and Salaam to All!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics. It really is a beautiful area - and nature does tend to make you think deep thoughts doesn't it?
You've learned one of life's toughest lessons...'you can't run away from yourself'. I know people twice your age who haven't figured that out yet so you must be pretty smart!
hugs and kisses and lots of love...

Sumayyah said...

Iris Blue: I have been learning a lot about life and about myself. My blog isn't really about that, but I thought I would share this one lesson because it seems so obvious now but it is something I just learned.
Hugs and kisses to you,and please take many pictures of England and Spain.

Anonymous said...

Sumayyah, do read "The Road Less Traveled" by Scott Peck when/if you get the chance. I read it when I first moved out here and it provided much insight that has helped me a great deal.

Sumayyah said...

Nayya: I will pick up the book tomorrow when I go visit my new best friend (the library)...haha

Anonymous said...

that's the first thing i did when i moved here.. i got a library card!!

Anonymous said...

that's the first thing i did when i moved here.. i got a library card!!