I love going out on the water because it gives you a different view of the city and it is fun. Also you get to see the houseboats, which are beyond cool. I would love to meet someone who lives in a houseboat and go over to visit or spend weekend. Who knows, maybe someday I'll buy a houseboat... So Saturday after work at Mary's Tea Room I biked home and got ready to go out.
It was wonderful! What a cool way to spend an evening. We lit a fire, got some hotdogs (and tofu dogs) and talked and had a great time. I learned all about geocaching. Basically geocaching is a game that is played all over the world. Using a GPS you locate points where 'treasures' are hidden. Once you find the spot you can leave a treasure for the next person and take one that is in the box. Learn more about it here.
So there is a geocache spot on Mosher Island and I left a little jewel that you attach to your cell phone (it was a gift for which I had no use, seeing as to how I don't have a cell phone). You also put an entry in the book. As far as I know there are a couple of geocache sites in Yellowknife, I will have to check out the others sometime.

This is where we pulled up to park the boat. We then hiked up the mountain, it wasn't a strenuous hike at all, but I was wearing horrible sandals.

This is looking down on the water once we had hiked up

Yay! We got a fire going pretty good. While we were lighting the fire Debb said that we should say something, so I told them I knew all the words to 'Colours of the Wind' from the Pocahontas movie. I refused to sing it though, but I did teach them the words, so that was fun.

After an amazing evening on the Island it was time to head out. The sun sets around 10pm these days, the bugs are gone, the temperature is perfect...I could not have asked for a better summer (and this coming from someone who thought she didn't like summer!).

This was the 2nd time I saw the moon in Yellowknife. The first time was when I came out here in May. It was so huge and so beautiful, this picture doesn't do it justice. It was kind of hard to capture the beauty because the boat was rocking, but nonetheless it was stunning.
~~~~~
Apart from that life out here is fine. Auntie Donna gets back on Friday, and Cousin T just left this weekend. I am taking care of her house as well and feeding her cat. Cashew is still here, still annoying as ever. She has taken up sleeping in my bed which I am not happy about but I don't have the heart to kick her out because she is kind of pathetic, really.
~~
Ramadan is coming soon! I am trying to get a head start on things and get into the 'mode'. It is funny how time goes fast from one Ramadan to the next. The Muslim lady I met said that she would introduce me to some other sisters in town, so I hope I won't be as alone as I thought I would be inshaAllah.
~~
Iris Blue left for Spain and England this morning. How lovely. I am so happy for her! I would love to go to Spain. Saf and I are planning a trip to Europe when she graduates inshaAllah (right Saf?). There are so many place I want to visit and possible live, they are all in my goals for the near and distant future...
~~
I watched an interview on with Stephen Lewis on CBC this past Sunday. What an amazing person he is! He came to McGill 2 years ago and I was so impressed with him. He said in his opinion Stephen Harper didn't show up at the World Aids Conference because he didn't want to take any criticism on Canada's lack of support to the aids pandemic in Africa. Stephen Harper isn't there because he doesn't care...God help us all with such small minded, egotistical political leader...I feel a rant coming on...
Greetings of Peace from the North and Good Night to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment