Thursday, October 19, 2006

Last Days

Good Evening and Salaam to all!

We are down to our last few days of Ramadan. This time next week, fasting will be over but hopefully any improvements in deen will stay with us until the next Ramadan. It is always kind of a happy sad feeling when Ramadan is over. Happy because it is Eid and another month of mercy has been in our lives, and sad because it is the end and who knows if we will be around for the next one.

Speaking of Eid, I have absolutely no plans to do anything this year. I don't think I will even take a day off, because what would I do? Stay home and watch tv alone? I am planning a fun gift for my family in Montreal. They will have to stay tuned to see what it is (because I highly doubt I will get myself organized in time to have it to them by Eid day haha). I was thinking about bringing in some sweets to work (like baklava or something 'exotic') and just letting everyone know that today is a special day for 1.3 billion people around the world, myself included. One of my coworkers said she would bring me cake, but honestly, I really don't need to be eating anything high in sugar or calories, though I appreciate the offer.

Last year at Eid, I made chocolate for my department at school. I asked the department secretary to send an email to everyone to come enjoy some chocolate with nuts as part of a celebration of the end of Ramadan. I made a lot of chocolate (I spent a bunch of money on ingredients!) and it was gone in all of 20 minutes. I was pleased.

~~~

So I am still back from my sojourn in Alberta, which was really just a quick visit. The wedding was really nice, the food was delicious. Salmon mousse, fresh veggies, roasted chicken...yumm. For dessert there was wedding cake and cheese cake. Man oh man! The cheese cake was decadent. It was so rich, you wouldn't want to eat it more than once or twice a year.

I came back feeling restless. I feel like I want to be on the move again, but I don't know where, why or when. After some discussion with Cousin T, I realized I am homesick, especially this time of the year, with Ramadan and all. As well I have to reexamine the reason I left, what I wanted to achieve and what my goals are in life. So needless to say I have been doing a lot of thinking, and though I haven't come up with any solutions yet, I am confident that things will work out as they were meant to be inshaAllah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one of the few things i remember from class - women have higher incidences of depression than men - one of the reasons why they think this is, is because women use rumination as a coping technique while men use something silly like humour...who the heck uses humour to get through tough times????
anyways i know you of all people NEVER ruminate (can you hear my sarcasm?) - don't worry - I am famous for it :)
seriously though if you use this type of coping mechanism try to use it to ponder on better things - instead of thinking about why you left home , instead make du'a that Allah enlightens your heart and your mind and then do an hour of dhikr. see if it helps.
this is an order by the way - from your big sister.
love you lots and always thinking about you!