Ramadan is a time to reflect on your life, on the blessings we have and to be grateful. I have started a gratitude journal, and honestly, I would never be able to put a number to all the things I am grateful for. For example, I am grateful for having shelter. This includes all the materials that went into building the house, all the people that transported the materials, all the people that worked on the house...all the food that enabled the people to transport and build the dwelling, the earth for growing the food...it goes on and on, (and that is simplified!). I have many goals for this upcoming year and I pray that the ones that are good for me are achieved inshaAllah.
So what is going on in the city, you might ask?
Today is the run/walk for cancer. I didn't participate because I had a few other things to take care of. As well, I didn't really want to run while fasting (I don't mind walking but I'd rather not get too thirsty). There were a couple of people from my department at work going, so I will hear all about it tomorrow.
Fall is here now. It has been here for a while, chilly mornings and evenings, warmish afternoons...lovely. Everything has turned yellow. I took a picture of a birch tree that had turned yellow. It was quite striking and my photo doesn't do it justice.


There is a photo contest in Yellowknife, I was thinking about entering it. It is open for everyone, and a person can enter up to 20 pictures. Maybe I will organize myself and enter some pictures I have taken in the 5 months that I have been here.
My water colour painting class is great. The teacher is Bill Reid, a local architect and artist originally from Ireland. He went over different techniques and I have been working on painting all weekend. Nothing too serious, just getting the feel of it, if I paint anything nice enough I will take a picture and post it. For now though, I am just getting used to it. There are 4 students in the class, all except one are newcomers to Yellowknife, which is kind of interesting. I guess it is the newcomers that want to get out and do something and meet people...apart from loving art, that was a reason for taking the class. Unfortunately my drawing class was canceled because not enough people joined. Too bad. I went into the hobby shop to buy supplies for my painting class, and I tell you, I was so excited! I love arts and crafts shops, paint, brushes, paper, pencil, sketch books...oh my! I get so happy (I know...it doesn't take much), but anyway I didn't go overboard.
So what is going on in the world?
-I saw this trailer on Seeker's Digest. Quite compelling and somewhat frightening.
-More killing in Afghanistan. The 37th Canadian in that country was killed this week. I wonder how many Afghans have been killed since they were attacked in 2001? And how many civilians in Iraq have been killed? Some estimate that over 100 000. May God help them and help humanity, we are indeed in troubled times.
1 comment:
the fact that "it doesn't take much" to make you happy is a great quality mashallah and we should all try to be like that- i think it shows gratitude towards God and a sign of good imaan.
Post a Comment