I started my new job today with Northwestel. Everyone is nice, I will be training for the next 6 weeks, so we'll see how things go. I haven't cracked the engineering job market yet, but I am still working on it, and this job will be fine in the time until I figure out what I want to do with myself...which is a whole other topic! I am still going to work at the Tea House on Saturdays because I like the job and it is only for the summer so I don't mind a six day work week, it should be alright inshaAllah.
I met a Muslim lady today, she stopped her car and got out and came to speak to me. She gave me her telephone number and told me I am to come to her house, so I intend to call her in a couple of days. She is a lot older than me, she told me she works for the government, but I always got along with older people and I have no problem having friends that are middle aged. Indeed, they often have a lot of wisdom or at least experience to offer and there is always something to learn, right?
I am reading Dr. Weil's book on "Eight Weeks to Optimum Health". My aunt and I are doing week one and I am trying to solicit my mother to do it as well. It is really interesting and he isn't some new age guru type, trust me on this one (you guys back home know that I am into health and stuff). Anyway it would be great if anyone wants to embark on the eight week journey with us, week one is relatively easy, here is a highlight:
- Throw away all margarine and all fats that aren't olive oil or butter. This includes all cookies, crackers and other snacks and foods that are made with shortening or margarine or hydrogenated oils.
- Make a point to eat fish once this week and broccoli twice this week
- Take 1000-2000mg of vitamin C , 2-3 times per day
- Walk 10 minutes each day (if you do other exercise, then add 10 minutes of walking)
- Spend 5 minutes per day 'meditating', this basically means that you should make it a point to pay attention to your breathing for 5 minutes, inhale, exhale etc.
- Enjoy fresh flowers; they are beautiful and are good for the spirit (trust me on this one!)
That is about it for week one, I will keep positing the plan for the next eight weeks if anyone wants to embark, that would be great. I think he is sensible and has a lot of good information and he focuses on holistic and all around well being, which, we in the West are blessed to be able to enjoy. If you can't get out to smell the roses, I am posting a picture, but you really should!
Salaams and Good night!
2 comments:
I am enjoying your writing, your point of view, and a different perspective on Yellowknife. One question about your new "diet": does one eat the flowers or look at them?
Hi Ben's Mom, normally you would just enjoy looking at them. However, there are many edible ones, I will find out and post about it. Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment