Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ummm...

...I am not sure what I am getting myself into, but here it is: I agreed to take part in a 80.5 km marathon! Yes, I did! Here is how it happened: I was at work, minding my own business when one of my coworkers came up to me and asked me if I want to take part in a 50 Mile (80.5 km) relay race along the ice road. It sounded cool, so I enthusiastically agreed.

I am not in any shape to run a marathon. My exercise involves walking to work daily (a 30 minute trek) and pilates 2 nights per week. That is it. I used to run while I was in college and university, but I haven't done any serious running in over a year, and even my 'serious' running was rather pathetic. So anyway, though I am excited, I am a little stressed. I have 2 months to get into shape, so I hit the streets tomorrow.

Here are the details of the race:
  • It is called the Cold Foot Classic.
  • It starts on March 17 (exactly 2 months from today!).

  • It is 24 hours long.

  • It has 6 'legs' that total 80.5 km.

  • March is still very much winter here. You have to run with a sled attached to your body carrying everything from a GPS unit to aluminum blankets to whistles. You also have to carry high calorie foods.

Check out the map, the details and everything else here. I'll keep you updated with my training and pre-race details.

~~~

There is a noticeable difference in the amount of daylight now. The sun is pretty much up by the time I leave for work at 9:30 am and it doesn't set until 4:00 pm. It feels good to have more daylight, I do enjoy it very much.

Last night they decided to do snow removal on the street I live on. It was the first time they have ever moved or removed or touched the snow on this street and snow has been falling since November. It is actually quite insane, everyone is driving around on 30 cm of packed snow and ice. They don't spread salt on the road because it is too cold. Instead they dump crushed rock on the street (on top of the packed snow) to provide some friction for vehicles. Anyway, they were so noisy with their beeping and pounding last night, I was up for half the night. If they removed the snow on a more regular basis it wouldn't be such a huge job. Just my opinion anyway.

Here is what the street looked like this morning when I left the house:






As you can see they scraped down to the pavement. They piled all the snow along the road. Then they spend the day trucking it Kam Lake (I think that is where they dump it but I am not sure). I was so tired this morning after a sleepless night that I wanted to call in sick (but I didn't of course).

~~~

Aunite D and I made a Tagine dinner the other night. I like chicken tagine. We had halal lamb so we used those and it tasted alright but I don't normally eat beef or lamb. I have eaten beef twice since I left Montreal and I cooked lamb one other time this summer. Here is how you make a tasty Tagine:

Chop your favourite veggies into chunks. We used carrots, turnip, potatoe, celery, onion and garlic.


Use the meat of your choice. These are lamb chops, but you can use pieces of chicken, beef or probably fish.


Soak prunes and/or apricots in water until plump and soft. These become so tasty when they are cooked up with everything inside the Tagine.


Brown the meat with cinnamon, cumin and coriander. You don't have to do it for long, just to give it a bit of colour and taste. You can add peppercorns on it as well.


Put the soaked fruits on the meat.


Add all the veggies on top. Don't cook the veggies. The steam in the tagine.


Leave it in the oven for about 3 hours. It cooks up so nicely. The meat is tender, the veggies are cooked and lovely and the fruit adds a bit of sweetness. You can eat it with pita bread, or couscous or bulgur. Sprinkle some toasted almonds and pumpkin seeds and yummm...Shoot! Look at me talking about food when I have a marathon to run!

Good night and God Bless!

No comments: