In Yellowknife you can get pretty much everything you need at the grocery store. There are two grocery stores here, Co-op and Extra Foods. Extra Foods is like Loblaws, they carry the President's choice and no name brands, and they sell everything from groceries to patio furniture and most things in between. One thing I do miss is fresh herbs. In Montreal you can buy a big bunch of dill, cilantro, parsley and basil for $0.99 at 'ethnic' Greek and Arab stores. In Yellowknife, you are left buying old sprigs of 'fresh' herbs that cost an arm and a leg.
I was saying this to one of my friends at work and she suggested I plant some herbs. What a good idea! So there are three little pots of herbs sitting on the windowsill tonight.
Speaking of groceries, here is something I have learned: Grocery shopping, though enjoyable, is somewhat annoying. You have to go to the store, walk around and buy what you need, wait at the cash, pay hard earned money, carry it to the vehicle, pack it in the vehicle, carry to the house, pack it away in the cupboards and fridge, not to mention cleaning and cooking and eating! Whew...Now allow me to expain. First of all, I enjoy cooking very much. I especially like making healthy, tasty vegetarian meals. I like chopping, cooking, baking, all of those things, and I like eating. I don't eat out much at all, I prefer to eat my own food because I know what is in it and I find eating out to be expensive and often a waste of money. The only exception I make is going out for sushi...yum...sushi...
~~~
I helped my aunt do some serious snow removal yestarday. We were outdoors for over 3 hours doing physical work. We've been maintaing the yard, driveway and deck since snow started falling but even with that there was a lot of work to be done. I started going a little crazy in the front of the house. I was moving huge blocks of ice, scraping down to the pavement. Needless to say I am quite achy today. But the positive aspect to this is that I was engaged in physical, cardio, and strength work, which is good for you, right??. Especially if you are supposed to run a marathon in a couple of weeks!
Peace out!
4 comments:
Three hours is a LONG time to be shoveling! Good idea about planting your own herbs. Preparing food really is a lot of work. It's so nice that you enjoy it though and you make it sound like so much fun (it is at times).
God you are so healthy it's annoying! Elisa had her baby Sunday!!!
Talk to you soon!
Iris: Don't hate me because I am beautiful!!
Yay! Elisa had her baby!! Mashallah, what did she name him? (She had a boy right?)...
see you next month xox
I can't wait to see you...She named him Yaqoub Ismail. I was going for something more exotic and Peruvian but hey...
Post a Comment