Monday, April 02, 2007

Borscht

Borscht is a Russian vegetable soup that is made with beets. It has a beautiful red colour, but more importantly it is delicious and healthy! My aunt and I made some yestarday and I have included some instructions for those wanting to try it out!


Start with fresh chopped veggies of your choice. I cut up turnips, carrots and celery. I also used a hot pepper for a bit of flavour and heat.


Also- chop up some onions and cabbage.


Bake some beets in the oven. They usually take about 1-2 hours depending on their size. You can wrap them in foil paper and let them steam inside. Then carefully take them out of the oven and remove the skin. You may want to wear plastic gloves on your hands because beet juices stain very well and you will end up with lovely red fingers! Chop the beets into chunks the size of your veggies.


Now is time to start cooking. First lightly fry the onions in a bit of olive oil. Add salt and pepper and hot pepper. When they are nice and soft add turnip, carrot, celery and cabbage. Add chicken stock (or water) and bring to a boil. Simmer until veggies are soft (about 1/2 hr), add chopped beets. The soup is done!


To serve, add a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle some fresh dill and eat away! We also made cheese parogies but I already blogged about how to make those.

***A word for the wise: If you aren't used to eating beets don't be alarmed the next day when you go to the bathroom. You aren't suffering from internal bleeding, you aren't dying a painless death...beets are strongly coloured that is all!***

So Happy April to everyone! I brought in the month feeling a little under the weather but it is all good now. I didn't have a single April fool's joke played on me, which is nice but somewhat boring. However, I was in for a nasty surprise when I went outside this morning and it was a cold -36C, if you can believe. The wind was blowing and it was quite nasty, really. I am ready for a little warmth.

Peace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

salaam Sumayyah.

Wow! There has been so much update since the last time i checked your blog.
I am sorry to hear that you were not able to run in your race. InshALlah next time you will :)

I can imagine your wait for warm weather, even though Montreal is not that bad as Yukon cold wise, im also dying to have some warm warm weather :)

I hope you grandma is doing well now inshAllah. Give her my well wishes when you get to speak to her :)

Im actually gonna try your soup, I love soups and this one looks awesomely tasty, even though Nabil does'nt like beets I'm definitely making a big lotof it :P

ALrights im going to check out, keep on updating us with your awesome activites!

Take care :)
-Samia

Anonymous said...

it looks so yummy!
and your caution is so funny!

Rasslin' Cowgirl said...

Wow that looks incredible! I'm going to try that this week (pad the recently cold again blahs).