I arrived safe and sound alhamdulilah!
...after running 17.4 Km in the bitter cold bright and early Saturday morning
...after being seriously hit on by a man who claimed to be a priest
...after listing to the same CD over and over
...after a 2 hour delay in Toronto
I am in Montreal!
Just because it is really funny I will tell you about the priest who wanted to buy me a car, wanted my name and telephone number and address and wouldn't stop talking to me. Here is goes:
So my flight was as follows, Yellowknife to Edmonton, Edmonton to Toronto and Toronto to Montreal. I got on the flight in Edmonton and there was a man who was seriously starring at me. I didn't think anything of it, but then as I walked down the aisle, I realized I was sitting beside him. So I said a quick hello (because I am so friendly now haha). I sat down and he asked me if I would have enough room to stretch my legs. I said I was fine, thanks. Red Flag #1! I noticed he had an open Bible. He turned to me and said,
"I am a priest in the Christian religion. I take it you are Muslim".
I said yes I am Muslim. He then proceeded to ask me what country I am from. Not wanting to get into the fact that my mom is Canadian-German and my dad is Haitian and I look Arab, I just I am from Haiti. He looked shocked and insisted it wasn't true. I just said, yes I am Haitian and even though I may not look it, I am. I asked him if he was from Nigeria, he said yes, how did I guess. I am pretty good at people's origin, so I just said I could tell.
We sat in silence for a bit, I think he was still shocked. Then he turned to me and said
"So are white or black?"
I was a bit taken aback at that question, I find the whole 'where are you from' question kind of invasive and the whole 'so what colour are you so that I can put you in a little box' question quite annoying. So I said I am black, of course. So he starts arguing with me saying that no I must be white, pointing to my hands and wrists and touching his hand against mine to show the difference in pigmentation. Finally he decided that, yes, he does believe me that I am black but I am just a lighter skinned black person. Fair enough.
Then he starts asking me where I am going, where I am from, what I am doing etc. I told him I live in Yellowknife and I am visiting my parents for a couple of days. He then asked me many questions about Yellowknife and Nunavut. He said he would like to come to Yellowknife and could he please have my phone number and address. I told him if he does come to Yellowknife, surely we'll bump into each other because it is small. He laughed and asked why I didn't want to give him my number. I said, no offence, but I don't give out my number to men. He laughed and said he understood.
He then asked me if I had a car. I said no, I don't need one right now. He asked me what my ideal car is...I don't actually have a favourite car, I just a VW. He said he would buy me one, just give him my telephone number and address and he'll bring one up for me for my birthday, and BTW when is your birthday. I said, it wasn't necessary at all, but thanks for the offer.
Finally the individual movie screen came on and I picked a foreign film called "Beat the Drum" about South Africa (which btw was really good!). He picked the same thing. He interrupted me a couple of times during the movie to tell me about African culture, the Aids virus and witch doctors. Thanks man, but I am not an idiot, I have read quite a bit about South Africa, I have a brother who lives there, and please leave me alone to watch my movie. Of course I didn't say that though I probably should've, but I was thinking that he would make a good blog post.
Finally the flight was over, 3 1/2 hours later, I said goodbye to him, he said he looks forward to meeting me in Yellowknife and we'll see each other again. Anyway for a priest, he was quite flirty and I am not sure if I just attract nut jobs or if I am so charming that people can't help themselves! I think it is the former!
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
glad you got in safe. rest assured it's just the "nut job need to tell you everything about myself" family curse. generally harmless but annoying
Glad to hear you made it to Montreal safely. Counting down the days to silence......LOL
S - you flirt. Breaking hearts everywhere you go...
Have fun in Montreal. I will think of you tonight as I twist myself in knots.
T.
Sumayyah! You naughty girl!
Quit chatting up all the guys!
and NEVER NEVER talk to the person sitting beside you on the plane... Put on your earphones and pretend to sleep! OR pretend to be deaf.
the other Donna
LOL: Thanks for the advice everyone. I will know better than to talk to anyone on my way back to Yellowknife.
See you all very soon!
Post a Comment